Our journey to low emission products
Proven track record
Kronospan has a long history of leading the industry:
- Introduction of E05 compliance standard according to EN 717-1.
- Introduction of safety compliance standard.
- We are committed to protecting the environment, and labelling our low emission products with the extra low emission E-LE butterfly emblem shows this.
- First OSB to receive certification from Energieinstitut Vorarlberg as an environmentally friendly product due to low VOC emissions and formaldehyde-free production technology
- OSB ECO with extra low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions
- First factory in Central and East Europe to produce E1 particleboard
- First tannin bonded MDF to meet E0 standard
- 100% of production was turned into E1 standard quality
All Kronospan wood-based panel products meet the European E1* safety standard, limiting the use of certain volatile organic compounds. To be able to unify and standardize production processes, Kronospan has also developed its own safety and environmental- friendly standard under the E-LE butterfly label - introduced in 2015.
In 2019 the TSCA Title VI** was also adopted in order to cover requirements of the market in USA. In 2020 the company introduced boards covering production norms in compliance to the German safety limitations - E1E05 standard established by new DIN EN 16516 reference method and approved by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety. It sets new, higher standards of safety limits of coated and uncoated wood-based materials under ChemVerbV***.
* E1 is a standard of safety recognized in Europe to signal the maximum levels of formaldehyde of each wood-based panel.
** TSCA Title VI is a standard of safety recognized the USA of the regulation concerning formaldehyde emission from composite wood products.
*** Chemikalien-Verbotsverordnung for wood-based materials.